Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Review: Sentinel by Jennifer L. Armentrout



Series: Covenant Series (Book 5)

Format: Paperback

Pages: 297

Rating: 5 Stars

How I Got It: Purchased

                Finishing a series is always a scary thing. And considering I had a few issues with this series I was extra nervous. But I ended up really enjoying the story and am happy with how it ended.

                There was a lot to do in this book. I, personally, needed plot resolution along with some serious character development and resolution. Overall, this was accomplished.

                I’m very happy with where Alex’s character went. I really didn’t like her in the first couple books but was very attached in the end. I won’t lie: she made me cry. I especially liked seeing Alex and Aidan’s relationship. Ms. Armentrout isn’t afraid to make difficult choices when it comes to a couple and I respect that.

                Then, there’s Seth. In some ways I’ve struggled with him more than Alex. I liked him, then wanted to like him, then hated him, then wanted to like him. My emotions were very conflicted throughout the series. In the end, I’ve made a decision on how I feel about him which is what I wanted. I still can’t decide, though, if I was supposed to be conflicted about him or if it was poor writing.

                The plot was also finished fairly well. There was a good combination of action and downtime. I’m also glad she addressed the politics of what was going on. Yes, they had to defeat this big bad, but that doesn’t mean everything will be perfect if/when they are victorious. There are larger issues in their world which have led them to this point that need to be addressed. In my experience, a lot of books overlook that.

                I did give it five stars, but I have a couple issues. Mainly I have some questions about the ending. Maybe I wasn’t reading closely enough but I’m confused about the logistics of the ending.

                Potential spoilers ahead:

                Next year a related book-The Return-is coming out. Initially, I was really excited because I figured this would address my issues, but apparently Alex and Aidan will not be in it. I’m still eager to read it because I liked Seth in the end and want him to be happy. But how is there going to be a whole book with Seth and no Alex. I never wanted them together romantically, but they do have an incredibly important emotional relationship. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see what she does.

~Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment