Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead



Series: Bloodlines (Book 4)

Format: Hardcover

Pages: 420

Rating: 5 Stars

How I Got It: Purchased

                I read the first three books in the Bloodlines series earlier this year, but had to take a break. I was enjoying the books, but could sense emotional turmoil coming and the final book didn’t have a publication date at the time. Honestly, I wish I could’ve held out even longer, but Adrian was calling to me.

                For some reason I LOVE the Bloodlines books. I did really like Vampire Academy but these books connect to me in a more intense way. And I loved that we get both Sydney and Adrian’s POV in this book. Of course, I loved Adrian before, but being in his head made it a million times better. How have we never been blessed with his perspective before?

                I think some people might think this book was a little slow because there wasn’t a lot of action. But I think there was a bunch of development when it comes to the inter-personal relationships. And I loved seeing Adrian and Sydney’s relationship continue to grow and evolve. Although, every time they would be happy I would get anxious and worry that something terrible would happen. Really this book was putting down a bunch of groundwork for the next two books. Or, at least, that’s how it felt to me. And Ms. Mead’s writing is so good I’m definitely okay with that.

                I want to talk about Adrian some more, but it’s going to be spoilery.

                Being in his head was fantastic. It helped me understand him and the effects of spirit even more.  When Tatiana was “talking” to him was so emotional. I also really liked seeing his struggle with going on medication. It’s a decision people struggle with every day and being a vampire is such a small part of it for him. Ms. Mead does an excellent job of including mental illness (for lack of a better phrase) in her books.

                I knew the ending was coming. I think that’s why I didn’t cry. And I don’t mean knew like I was spoiled, but there was a crap-ton of foreshadowing. And it was a spectacularly written ending. Adrian was so emotionally raw and then Sydney at the end-amazing. The thing that got me the most was when they kept talking about “the center will hold.” I don’t know why but that hit a cord with me for some reason. And Hopper-always Hopper. I love that little dragon guy.  

~Thanks for reading!
Holly 

No comments:

Post a Comment