Friday, September 12, 2014

Waking Up With the Duke by Lorraine Heath



Series: London’s Greatest Lovers (Book 3)

Format: Paperback

Pages: 375

Rating: 4 Stars

How I Got It: Borrowed from the Library

                This book was full of conflicting emotions for me. I mean the basic premise is full of awkwardness. I mean it’s a cheating book-even though the person being cheated on is okay with the cheating. But I’ve read two Lorraine Heath books and both were full of crazy, but I completely believe the craziness and enjoy the books.

                The basic plot is very odd. A crippled man wants to give his wife a child, but he can’t so he asks one of his best friends to do it. It’s made even more complicated by the fact that said friend is part of the reason he’s crippled and has been attracted to the wife, but the wife hates him. To me it felt like Julia Quinn's When He Was Wicked meets Camelot-with the whole Lancelot, Arthur, Guinevere triangle. See: crazy.

                The best part of the story was the emotional struggles and journey of Jayne and Ainsely. I think that’s what allowed me to handle the cheating parts that made me uncomfortable. Ms. Heath gave these characters real and conflicted emotions. Neither of them wanted to hurt her husband and that was almost constantly in their minds.

                Oh, and she would occasionally write in Walfort’s (the husband) POV. It helped to get in his head and see how he feels about Ainsley and Jayne’s relationship.     

                I also liked how she addressed the idea of having a child, but not being a part of his or her life. Ainsely’s struggle with this actually made me cry. And it shows how good of a guy he is since he cares.

                If you’ve read the other books in the series you’ll know about Leo and Tess. I loved both of these side characters and how their story was weaved into these books. And I’m very happy with how that story was resolved.

                I’ve bought some other Lorraine Heath books and want to read more. I’m curious to see if they have just as crazy plots. I guess the only way to know is to read them.


~Thanks for reading!
Holly 

No comments:

Post a Comment