Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern



Format: Hardcover

Pages: 343

Rating: 4.5 Stars

How I Got It: Purchased


                Before I get started can we talk about this book cover? I think it’s beautiful. This is what you can create with typography and color. Plus, the speech bubbles are on the actual hardcover.

                OK. Onto what’s inside this beautiful book. I really loved this book. But I struggled to rate it so I actually waited a few days. I had to give it 4.5 stars because there were a couple things that bothered me, especially now that I’m out of that just finished a book high.

                This book was different for me because both main characters have a disability. Yes, OCD isn’t a traditional disability, but the principle applies. You just don’t see a lot of stories, especially where the girl is the one with the “problem.”

                Amy is definitely an interesting character. I don’t have any background knowledge on CP and very limited experience with it. Maybe it’s just me, but it’s easy to assume someone with a physical disability also has a mental one. Amy reminds you not to judge someone.

                However, my main issue with the book is connected to Amy. She gets a little pushy and close-minded. The way she treats Matthew sometimes rubbed me the wrong way.

                This book is about Amy and Matthew, but I was more connected to Matthew. He had a more compelling story and character development.

                I feel I need to be honest: I suffered from OCD in high school and college. I still have some compulsions, but nothing like when I was younger and Matthew goes through.  This part of my past definitely allowed me to relate him in a way I’ve never connected to another character. I would love to read more about books with OCD suffering characters.

                All of this being said—I don’t think this is a book for everyone. It’s very emotional and I don’t think the plot points would appeal to all readers.

~Thanks for reading!
Holly 

No comments:

Post a Comment