Friday, November 28, 2014

Everything Between Us by Mila Ferrera



Format: Ebook
Pages: 261
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

                I went into this a little apprehensive. I mean the guy has repeatedly had sex with the girl’s mom. That’s some crazy shit right there. But the girl-Stella-suffers from severe anxiety and as someone who has more mild anxiety I’m a sucker for it.

                The story is in dual POV which is great. If a story has a romantic element I prefer to be in both characters heads. And I loved reading from both of their perspectives. It’s actually very interesting to read Stella’s perspective on her panic attacks and then Daniel’s perspective as an observer.

                Speaking of her panic attacks and anxiety-Ms. Ferrera handled this subject with care. In the real world and fiction it’s easy to tell people with anxiety to just move on or get over it. But she creates a character that is aware of her problems, but feels trapped. And Daniel is appropriately sensitive and confused by her behavior.

                Plus, there’s always the potential issue of someone getting better because of a guy or girl. Now, I definitely believe love can be powerful, but I also think people should better their mental or physical health for themselves. This was balanced well in this story. Daniel does help Stella, but she helps herself even more.

                I feel like I should address the fact that Daniel has had sex with Stella’s mom. From the outside I definitely think that’s weird and I’m not sure it’s something I could get over. But in the story it isn’t weird at all. Stella knows the whole time and I think her acceptance of that made it ok for me. Plus, it’s not like there was any emotion involved in his relationship with the mom.

                My main issue which really knocked it down a star is the ending. I think it wrapped up a little quickly. And there were some fairly big plot points or issues that should have been addressed. I have some serious logistical questions about their lives after the ending. This is why I like epilogues so much.

                I would definitely recommend this book. It’s a great new adult that addresses some important issues without being too angsty. Plus, both Stella and Daniel are enjoyable characters to read about.


Thanks for reading!
Holly 

No comments:

Post a Comment