Monday, December 1, 2014

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner



Series: Starbound Book 1
Format: Hardcover

Pages: 374

Rating: 3 Stars

How I Got It: Library

                I got this out of the library, because I though this wasn’t the book for me. And, for the most part, I stand by that decision. At its core this book is about two people who end up alone and fall in love. I try to avoid stories like that because the romance usually feels forced.

                This book had some pretty good world building. However brief I understood life on the ship. And I can easily picture the planet they landed on. I do wish I knew more about the political system and how it came to be. But I feel like this information is being slowly revealed on purpose.

                Generally, I liked Lilac and Tarver. It was easy to connect with Tarver and I preferred his PO V scenes. Lilac was difficult. She came across kind of bitchy and I just wanted her to open up. By being so closed off it’s hard to build a connection and truly care about her.

                And I will say it was kind of a challenge to tell the difference between the alternating points of view. The voice in them were fairly similar and I frequently forgot who I was reading about.  This is kind of odd, because I assume each other primarily wrote one POV.

                I also found the ending ridiculously abrupt. But I can be forgiving of that in a series.

                While I had some issues I do plan on continuing in the series. I know it follows two new characters, but it should further the larger plot and I’m very interesting in that.

Thanks for reading!
Holly 

No comments:

Post a Comment