Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor



Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone Book 1

Format: Hardcover

Pages: 418

Rating: 3 Stars

How I Got It: Borrowed from the library

                I’ve waited a few days to write this, because I’ve really had to compose my thoughts. And it’s not even about the ending, but I will talk about that.

                Throughout the story I was struggling to be invested. It’s not that I hated what I was reading, but I could’ve easily walked away from it. The only time I started to really care was when the Madrigal storyline picked up.

                The story does feel different from other things. There are crazy characters and it takes place in Prague. I mean why not set your story in Prague and give your protagonist blue hair?

                And the writing is very descriptive. There are many different kinds of Chimera, but I could easily picture them in my head. And she explains the action well. It’s not easy to write a fight scene.

                Something that really brought this down for me was the romance. Or what is supposed to be a romance. It felt forced and the story didn’t need it. Personally, I think it would have been better if she held off on the romance until the second book. I honestly don’t even get why these characters would be in love.

                Now, let’s talk spoilers.

                Or, basically, the ending.

                I’ll be honest I considered not finishing the series.

                I get death in a story and can move past a death I take hard. But this was something different.

                Personally, I don’t think I could get over someone killing my family. And not just killing them, but brutally murder the people who have loved me and cared for me.

                It’s going to take a lot for me to believe Akiva and Karou as a couple. Because I’m assuming that’s the end game.

                But I do plan to continue. First, I’m curious to know how she’s going to handle the romance. And I’m hopeful  this book was all about setting down groundwork for the series. If that is the case then this book will make a lot more sense to me.


Thanks for reading!
Holly 

No comments:

Post a Comment