Tuesday, November 18, 2014

This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales



Format: Hardcover

Pages: 274

Rating: 4 Stars

How I Got It: Purchased

                This book wasn’t what I was expecting. Normally, I do my reviews without spoilers or at least part of it. But I’m not sure I can write this without spoilers. I’m going to try, but just a warning. If you fear spoilers please proceed with caution.

                I’m actually a little conflicted, because some things are problematic. I support someone working on their mental health, but Elise didn’t do it in the best way. She made some potentially dangerous decisions that helped her as a happy accident.

                Elise would be easy to not like, because she can be a little woe is me or stuck up. But she’s also funny which helps balance her character.

                I really liked some of the side characters like Vicky and Mel. They were great, supportive, and I would love to read more about them-especially Vicky.

                Something that was odd was that I kept forgetting Elise’s name. This book was told in first person and for the first time I actually read it as if I was the main character. Now, I’ll admit Elise and I have a crap-ton of similarities-in personality and home life. We’re actually alike in so many ways that I felt uncomfortable at times.

                And now to the flat out spoilers.

                One of my struggles was the relationship between Char and Elise. And it’s not that she kind of falls for him, because I understand why even if it’s unhealthy. What I want to know is did they have sex? I think they didn’t, but if they did we’re getting into statutory rape territory. It just made me uncomfortable.

                Then, there’s the suicide/cutting scene. I’ve never had those thoughts, but it felt real and honest. This scene also made me uncomfortable, but in a good way. It actually makes me a little sick to read or see someone self-harm, so if that’s a trigger for you I would proceed with caution.

                Next, we have Amelia. Elise’s treatment of Amelia pissed me off. I forgave a lot of Elise’s flaws, but this one I couldn’t get over. I felt Amelia was a good person who was just trying to help and Elise was a bitch to her.

                I feel like I need to read this book again to fully form my opinions. Like I said earlier I’m not sure her path to recovery is the healthiest and that’s really what keeps me from giving it five stars.


~Thanks for reading!
Holly 

No comments:

Post a Comment