Monday, December 8, 2014

A Lady Awakened by Cecilia Grant



Format: Paperback

Pages: 346

Rating: 3 Stars

How I Got It: Purchased

                The ladies on the DBSA podcast raved about this book, so naturally I had to buy it. And I did like the story, but I wasn’t blown away.

                The story is definitely unique. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a couple fall in love like this. They have sex every day, but it’s their conversations that cause them to fall in love. So many books put too much emphasis on the physical aspect of a couple’s relationship.

                Both Martha and Theo are likeable characters. They have flaws, but are genuinely good people. Although, I liked Theo more than Martha. I found him easier to connect with and he seemed to have more character development. He learned a lot and grew into a true gentleman.

                My main issue is the writing style. Objectively, there is nothing wrong with it. But for me, it read like a classic. Several times I thought: this is what Jane Austen would’ve written if she covered the sexy times. And I like Jane Austen, but it’s not the writing style I’m looking for in a romance. Plus, that type of writing typically creates a divide between me and the characters. It felt like I never really got in their heads-especially Martha.

                The ending also felt a little easy and rushed. Some things just didn’t seem believable and I have some questions that really should have.

                I would recommend this book if you’re considering getting into the genre-especially if you like classics. While there is a decent amount of sex it’s not overly descriptive.

                And even though I had some issues I would pick up another Cecilia Grant book at some point.


Thanks for reading!
Holly 

No comments:

Post a Comment