Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Sweet Thing by Renee Carlino



Format: Ebook
Pages: 278
Rating: 4.5 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

                For a while now I’ve been hearing good things about this story. I’ve really been in a romance mood so I figured I would buy this one. It definitely didn’t disappoint, but I did have a few minor issues.
                First, I want to talk about how this book is classified. I’ve heard it described as new adult, but I personally feel it’s more of a standard contemporary romance.
                This story played with some tropes and storytelling techniques. It read like a friends to lovers, but isn’t quite. And Ms. Carlino incorporated music very well. I always think it’s courageous for authors to make music a huge part of their stories, because it can fall flat.
                I’m so glad the story took place over a long period of time. So many romances are rushed. Especially since Mia just lost her dad I didn’t want her to fall into a romance out of grief.
                Overall, I liked all of the characters. The side characters felt flushed out and real. Will is kind of an oddball, but he’s a sensitive soul that you quickly grow to love. Mia was interesting and likeable for the most part. There were a few times I wanted to shake her because she was being stupid.
                Along with Mia’s occasional craziness, I had an issue with the resolution. Like too many romances it ended quickly. And I thought some of their personal issues were fixed a bit too fast.
                There is a follow-up novella which I actually already read because I wanted/needed to spend more time with these characters. And I will be doing a review of that eventually. 

Thanks for reading!
~Holly 

No comments:

Post a Comment