Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Angels in the Snow by Matt de la Pena



My True Love Gave to Me Anthology

Format:  Hardcover

Pages: 32

Rating: 4 Stars

How I Got It: Purchased

                The first quarter of this story I thought it was going to be a disappointment. I wasn’t connecting with Shy. And I found the Mexican/racial divide bits a little heavy-handed. After finishing the story, I think the author was trying to explain a complex history in a very short time and did the best he could.

                I did end up loving Shy. Reading about his struggle with his pride was hard. It’s heartbreaking to see the situations people end up in and, sometimes, stay in because they feel like they can’t ask for help.

                I also liked Haley and the relationship she developed with Shy. They created an interesting friendship. It developed quickly, but felt natural and organic.

                The ending was definitely open-ended. But I didn’t mind. It was an ending full of hope and potential.

Thanks for reading!

~Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment