Thursday, December 4, 2014

Maybe Not by Colleen Hoover



Format: Ebook

Pages: 87

Rating: 4 Stars

How I Got It: Purchased

                I didn’t know what to do with myself when I saw this novella was announced. I was at work and had no one to talk to about it. When I read Maybe Someday Warren was one of my favorite characters. I absolutely loved his relationship with Sydney.

                So a story about Warren is exactly what I wanted.

                Overall, I enjoyed this story. Warren is a little crazy, but a loveable kind of crazy. He’s actually kind of like Daniel from Finding Cinderella and Hopeless/Losing Hope.

                And I liked getting to know Bridgette a little more. She’s even crazier than Warren. I was kind of undecided on her in Maybe Someday, but this explained a lot. She has a lot of issues that have caused her to struggle with normal human interactions.

                And Warren and Bridgette do work as a couple. They push each other to learn and become better people. Plus, they have some pretty undeniable sexual chemistry. There is no shortage of sexy times in this little novella.

                All of this aside, I do have one pretty big complaint. In my opinion, there is an inappropriate use of force/power. At one point I think Warren rapes her or, at least, walks a very fine line with rape. I guess this could be considered a spoiler so proceed with caution.

                After the first time they’ve had sex he wants to give her an orgasm. Now, don’t get me wrong, I think Warren is doing this to be nice. But she repeatedly says no. Just because she ends up enjoying doesn’t mean it’s not shady.

                H does something similar when they fight over holding hands in the car. Again, I think he’s coming at it from an honest and helpful place. But he still uses his physical strength to force her to do something she doesn’t want to.

                Something I would have liked is Bridgette’s POV. She has so much backstory and I think being in her head would have been super informative. But that didn’t impact my rating, because I got enough with just Warren’s POV.

                Oh, I do wish I got more Sydney/Warren moments.

                I kind of want to re-read Maybe Someday.  Since they take place at the same time I think it would add another dimension to the story.

                Besides, I would take any excuse to re-visit Sydney and Ridge.


Thanks for reading!

~Holly 

No comments:

Post a Comment