Thursday, February 26, 2015

Star Cursed by Jessica Spotswood



Series: Cahill Witch Chronicles (Book #2)
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 384
Rating: 4.5 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

That ending has kind of wrecked me, so I’m not sure how this review will go. But I’m going to pick up the third book and don’t want to accidentally confuse the two.

I just love Jessica Spotswood’s writing. This reads a lot like a contemporary, but has the amazing world building of a historical or fantasy book. She does a great job of creating the world-especially the political and social aspects. And Cate is a spectacular narrator. I never get tired of her. And there was such tension in this book. Almost every page had me on the edge of my seat and that doesn’t happen often.

Cate is an amazing protagonist. Yes, she’s dealing with being a witch, but she’s very real. Her problems are relatable and I love reading about her struggle to find herself. Plus, she’s a good person, sister, and friend.

I wasn’t expecting this, but the series addresses a lot of issues women have to deal with even in our world today. There’s female sexuality, female friendships, sisters, and the cattiness that unfortunately seems to always follow women. It could just be stereotypes, but I feel like it’s so much more.

Now, I’m going to address a pretty big spoiler.

You’ve been warned.

In the last year I’ve done some soul searching and have tried to not call women (fictional or real) names-especially names that are often attached to woman. But Maura is a bitch. I actually wrote that it my notes twice. For so long I’ve been cheering for her, because I really wanted her to be redeemed and a truly good person. But, for me, using mind magic on Finn like that is unforgiveable. I completely believe she did it because it would hurt Cate and it helping Inez’s cause was secondary. As a sister I can say there is NOTHING that would make me do something that cruel to mine. And they (Cate and Finn) better end up together-happily. I pray it doesn’t take the whole book, because how will I survive that?

Now, I need to emotionally prepare myself to read the last book. Wish me look.

Thanks for reading!
~Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment