Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Ring and The Crown by Melissa de la Cruz



Series: The Ring and the Crown Book 1
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 372
Rating: 2 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

Ugh. I was so disappointed by this book. It’s made worse by the fact that I have enjoyed Melissa de la Cruz’s books in the past. Even though I wasn’t enjoying the first part I kept assuming it would get better. That being said, I’ll keep the book, because the cover is gorgeous.

I’m a little afraid this review will come across as book bashing, so I’ll try to start with some things I did like.

Wolf was probably my favorite character and he was very likeable. He was fairly interesting and probably the only morally good character (at least of the main characters). I also liked Ronan-most of the time. I’m glad she wasn’t just the stereotypical spoiled rich girl.

Time for some complaints.

My biggest issue was the lack of plot or action. Probably 95% was day in the life. Which would be fine if the characters were compelling and likeable. Instead, most of them were childish and immature. And when there was action it was rushed without and build up or pay off. Sometimes I didn’t even know what was actually going on because of the lack of set up.

Then, there’s the world building. I was disappointed that nothing changed. Yes, this is a fairly accurate representation of life for that time, but I personally believed things would have changed more. They are accepting of gays (and lesbians I assume). This is great, but why? Does magic make you a better person or did the author just want to make a point or avoid a difficult part of our past?

And the magic had so much potential. I was curious to see how the magic worked and impacted politics. But it wasn’t developed. It almost felt like she expected the reader to just know things without ever showing or explaining them.

I have more, but don’t want to keep going, because it’s making me angry to even write this.

To be honest, I have no plans to buy or read the sequel. I read the synopsis and I get the vibe that it’s going to be more of the same plus some story ideas that are personal pet peeves. Also, this one didn’t end in a way where I’m anxious to know more. Maybe someday I’ll read spoilers just to see what happens to Wolf and Ronan-the only characters I care about.

Thanks for reading!
~Holly

P.S. This actually reminds me a lot of how I felt when reading Matched by Ally Condie.

No comments:

Post a Comment