Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski



Series: The Winner’s Trilogy #2
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 355
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

                This book has quite a bit of hype-at least on booktube. And I went in unsure if it was for me. In the end, that’s probably a good thing, because I ended up really enjoying the story.
                I definitely like reading about slavery. Since most people in our world/society look at slavery as bad it becomes an interesting story telling and character development tool. First, it immediately impacts how you view the people and governments that allows slavery. Then, there’s my favorite: how being a slave impacts an individual.
                Overall, Kestrel and Arin where intriguing characters. I think I like Arin a little bit more. But it also feels like these two will evolve throughout the series.
                I do wish their relationship was more friendship than romance-at least at this point. I just don’t buy that they would/could love each other. And I’m not sure I really want them together at the end of the series. Granted, I have no idea where this series will go say that may not be Ms. Rutkoski’s end game.
                Also, I wish there was more world building and history. I have a lot of questions and don’t see how, from a story telling perspective, they couldn’t be answered.
                My issues were fairly minor and I am eager to continue the series when the next book comes out later this year.

Thanks for reading!
~Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment