Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon



Series: Outlander (Book 1)
Format: Paperback
Pages: 850
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

This book has a lot of hype and a huge following. I had seen the first episode of the show and liked it so I was hopeful I would enjoy the book. But I was still a little nervous. I mean, what if I didn’t like it? There’s something scary about disliking a book everyone else seems to love.

Overall, I liked the story. For the first half of the book I wall all about this being a favorite and a five star read. There wasn’t a lot going on with the plot, but Ms. Gabaldon’s writing is beautiful. I didn’t mind reading about Claire’s day-to-day life in 18th century Scotland. They probably got me more invested in Claire’s story.

And the whole cast of characters are intriguing. They aren’t without issues and I will get there. This book is not just a love story between Jamie and Claire. I do with there were more female characters, but this world is very male so I understand.

I want to talk about Claire a little more. I felt like I was supposed to view her as this strong, independent, 20th century woman, but she made some stupid decisions. The first few times I was able to overlook them, but then it just got annoying. She kept doing the same things over and over and then would be surprised when the same bad things happened. But please don’t think I hated her because I didn’t.

The writing, while beautiful, did confuse me sometimes. She seemed do dance around a situation or a character. I get showing and not telling, but there are several things that happened that I just don’t understand. Maybe they will make more sense in a re-read, but this is a big book to re-read.

While I do have some issues I completely understand why people love it. And I do want to continue the series, but not right away. This was such a big book and very dramatic so I need a little break.

Now, I want to talk spoilers.

There’s really one specific thing that turned this book for me. It put a bad taste in my mouth that I carried throughout the rest of the book.

That thing is when Jamie beats Claire. I could have moved on if he had hit her on the butt with his hands a few times, but he literally beat her so she was uncomfortable for days. To make it worse he never apologized (only gave excuses), and she forgave him way to fast. I get this is a different time and life was more harsh, but that’s no excuse. Beating a woman-especially one you claim to love- is never okay. I don’t see people talk about this, but I’m curious how other people handle/justify this. And I’m interested to see how the show handles this.

And I do plan on doing a video review and discussion if you want to see more of my thoughts and opinions. I’m watching the show, too.

Thanks for reading!
~Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment