Thursday, April 30, 2015

Review: Paper Towns by John Green

6442769

Format: Paperback
Pages: 304
Rating: 2 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

I want to say that I like John Green as a person, but his books do not work for me. I don’t like to write highly negative reviews, so I’ll try to keep it short.

The thing I liked was Radar. He’s an interesting, likeable character. The rest of the characters don’t deserve his friendship.

All the other characters are selfish, flat, and unlikeable. In theory, I get that this could be about Q finding himself, but it doesn’t work. Q is a pretentious and ungrateful ass. And he doesn’t seem to ever feel bad for how he treats his “friends”. I don’t even want to get into Margo and her manic pixie dreamgirlness. And the literary references are way too heavy-handed.

Reading this book makes me even more upset than I normally am upon hearing that John Green saved YA. If anything he’s writing self-indulgent books that cheapen and simplify woman. Now that I think about it, I never hear about his decided lack of well-rounded female characters. But maybe stuff like that only matters if an author is female and writes romance because they seem to get shit all the time.

Again, I want to be clear: I like John Green and don’t think he hates women or anything like that, but his books definitely leave something to be desired.

Thanks for reading!
~Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment