Monday, April 20, 2015

Review: So Much Closer by Susane Colasanti

8492805

Format: Hardcover
Pages: 256
Rating: 3 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

This was almost a two-star book, but the last 50-75 pages pulled it up to a three. Now, I’m not a fan of unrequited love stories and this is a perfect example of why.

Brooke was a pretty flat and oblivious character. She’s really hard to like or care about. She’s actually a stereotypical teenage girl and as someone who was once a teenage girl I’m offended. She’s also way too focused on Scott. At some points I was surprised she had any friends. She did eventually mature and I started to care about her by the end. A lot of the side characters are fun and redeeming through.

Then, there’s the plot and conflict. It equally was too much and not enough. Basically, it was too short for what Ms. Colasanti was doing. There’s the romance, personal growth, and family and friendship struggles. She should’ve either cut something like her troubled family life or added another 25,000 words.

I do own another Colasanti book and I’ll probably read it, but I wouldn’t really recommend this. But if you tend to like traditional contemporary YA like Sarah Dessen then this might work for you.

Thanks for reading!
~Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment