Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Review: The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

9520360

Series: Heroes of Olympus Book #2
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 528
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Gift

I may have waited too long to write this review, but I’ll try. This book is a lot like the first one. It’s laying down the groundwork for the series with three different characters-Percy, Frank, and Hazel. And this one takes place in the Roman world instead of Greek.

Personally, I enjoyed to the Roman Camp and reading about how they function. It’s a different look at demigod life and continues to expand the world.

Percy is still Percy, but he’s getting more mature which makes sense and I like seeing it. Frank and Hazel were also fun characters. I wanted to get to know them and quickly became invested in them. And Rick Riordan is keeping up with the diversity. Hazel is African-American and Frank is Chinese-Canadian.

The plot was pretty traditional for a Rick Riordan book: A small group of characters go on a time-sensitive quest and face several monster struggles on the way. But like a good Power Rangers episode it’s not bad just because it’s formulaic. I will say the tone seemed to be a little darker and more serious then I’m used to. Again though, this isn’t a bad thing.

I am eager to read the next book and to finish the series. And I want to see all of these characters interacting with each other. However, I’m nervous that if seven characters come together the result will be in some of the characters becoming background and not getting as much development. I guess I’ll find out when I read them.

Thanks for reading!
~Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment