Monday, May 25, 2015

Review: Swallowing Stones by Joyce MacDonald



12621155

Format: Paperback
Pages: 272
Rating: 2 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

I’m going to be honest- I really didn’t like this book. I finished because it was short and read some reviews on Goodreads about it having a great mystery. But I’m unsure of what the mystery was supposed to be-when will Michael stop being a selfish asshole? Because the answer is never.

I like the concept of this story, but it was executed poorly. To me, it feels like something a “scholarly” adult thinks YA “literature” should be. And it didn’t even do that particularly well. For me, the only interesting and likeable character. She is the best person and she’s constantly being mis-treated. I mean, this book had a decent amount of slut-shaming that was trying to act like that wasn’t what was happening.

And what was the point of this story? Maybe I just don’t get it. Plus, it was boring.

I don’t have anything else to say except maybe “don’t read this.”

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment