Friday, June 19, 2015

Book Review: Asking for It by Lilah Pace



23398817
Series: Asking for It Book #1
Format: Ebook
Rating: 5 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

I just finished this and I feel like I won’t be able to move onto another book unless I get my thoughts out. I went into this unsure if I would like it or not, but with an open-minded. Some things did make me uncomfortable, but I still greatly enjoyed it.

The book is very clear that this contains rape and fantasies that surrounding lack of consent. But in case you found this review without seeing that: please be WARNED.

I know some people don’t like that Vivienne is a rape victim who has rape fantasies, because they wonder why can’t someone just have a kink? I get that opinion, but I find it refreshing to have a female victim of sexual assault that doesn’t just shut out all men. Everyone is different and no way of coping is particularly wrong.

This book is told in first person. I’ve been clear that I’m not a fan, but it completely works. I think it’s because so much of this story is psychological and the reason I liked it so much is how deeply I was able to get in her head. And I like her as a character. She’s funny and I appreciate her outlook on life.


And the side characters are developed perfectly. They are fully formed people and create a new family for Vivienne. I recently read a review of Pitch Perfect 2 (on Smart Bitches Trashy Books)-I think it was by Redheaded Girl. She talked about it being about a found family. To me, that’s what this story has and I’m realizing I love that kind of story.

Let’s discuss the sex. There is a lot of it and it is very descriptive. I feel like sex can often serve as a characterization tool and that’s very true here. In a lot of ways I learned more about these characters because of how they acted and reacted during different sexual situations. Especially when it comes to Jonah-I had some real epiphanies about him during these scenes.

And Ms. Pace was incredibly respectful. I never questioned if Vivienne was fully consensual and that is probably the most important thing for this story to work. She also makes Vivienne and Jonah have 
open/honest conversations about what they do and do not want. You know, like healthy adults should have.

This book is not for everyone. And if you would even come close to being triggered by this material I would stay away. But if you can read this kind of content I suggest at least giving it a try.

I’m very excited for the next book. Like, I can’t wait. And I want to know who Lilah Pace is so I can read more books by her.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment