Monday, June 22, 2015

Book Review: Nowhere but Here by Renee Carlino



 18280662
Format: ebook
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

I absolutely loved Sweet Thing so this book had a high bar to meet. And it was definitely a good story, but it lacked some of the magic Sweet Thing had. The characters are likeable, but the romance is a little fast and fairly predictable.

Even though I said this lacks the magic of Sweet Thing it does have its own charm. Ms. Carlino creates a beautiful world at the winery in Napa. I was easily sucked into the world and can see how easy it would be to fall in love. And I normally don’t enjoy books set in California (Alice Clayton being the major exception). And in a lot of ways this reminded me of The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. I can’t really explain why, but maybe it’s because both have women who are kind of reborn in a new setting.

All of the characters are well-developed and Kate has a great group of friends. Hey, another found family book. Kate was enjoyable and easy to connect with. I like that she wasn’t highly negative about herself, but she also wasn’t obnoxiously confident. I wish I could have gotten to know Jamie better, but he is very charming and loveable.

My only real issue was how fast the romance progressed. I guess this is sort of a summer fling story, but it didn’t quite work for me. Ms. Carlino did do a good job of throwing in a conflict that slowed down their relationship which really saved it for me.

Even with my complaints I do plan on reading more of Renee Carlino’s books and I do recommend her stories.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment