Friday, June 26, 2015

Book Review: Breathe by Abbi Glines



17559253
Series: Sea Breeze Book #1
Format: Ebook
Rating: 3 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

I think I can safely say that the Abbi Glines crack doesn’t work for me. And this makes me sad because I feel like I’m on the outside of a club. I enjoy her books, but they don’t blow me away or completely suck me in. I do plan on continuing to read them though. This is an OK book. At only one book in, I do think I like the Rosemary Beach books better.

Jax and Sadie are both decent characters. I wish there had been more (or longer) Jax POVs so I could get to know him more. And I usually enjoyed those sections when they showed up. I also liked Marcus and feel really bad for him. My big issue with Rush (from the Too Far books) was how much of an alpha-hole he was. Jax talked like an alpha but didn’t act like one which I really appreciated.

My biggest complaint is the dialogue. It often felt stilted and unnatural. If you read it out load it would not have flowed well. But I feel like this was earlier in Ms. Glines books so that could be why. The writing, in general, was way too much tell instead of show. And there was a lot of repetition.

The romance was good. I’m not a big fan of the billionaire trope and this is related to that one. I do think it progressed a little too fast but that’s fairly standard for NA/romance so I can usually overlook it.

Like I already said I do plan on reading more of the series. The Rosemary Beach books definitely got better as the series progressed, so I’m hoping this is the same. But I don’t know if I’ll keep reading right away because I have no immediate urge to read about the side characters.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment