Monday, July 6, 2015

Book Review: For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund



8306761
Series: For Darkness Shows the Stars Book #1
Format: Paperback
Pages: 402
Rating: 5 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased

I should probably sit with this book for a little bit before writing this, but I don’t want to. And honestly, I have no complaints. I’m sure I could find some but right now I just want to soak in the awesomeness that is this book.

I don’t even know how to start this so it may not be very coherent.

The writing is so beautiful. It felt artistic and I could see how she was influenced by Austen. And it had that restrained tension that I love about Austen. Like (potential spoiler ahead) these characters never even kiss, but you can still feel the passion and love. That takes some serious skills.

Oh and the letters. I’m a huge fan of books with letters, texts, emails, etc. And she incorporated them wonderfully. I was glad she included the letters from their past, because it really explained their friendship and romance. Then, there’s the letter at the end. I was hoping she would do this and the best thing I can say is: Kai’s letter made me feel the same way Wentworth’s letter made me feel.

So, I loved the writing. I loved the romance. I also love the characters-including the side characters like Ro, Felicia, and Andromeda. I actually really want to spend more time with Andromeda, because she’s a little bit of a mystery.

Then, there’s the scientific and post-apocalyptic aspects of the story. It was interesting to see a world that had “regressed” but knows about technology and great scientific advances. And it’s a different look at how a caste system can be formed and exist.

I’ve read that the companion novel explores even more of the science behind the past and present. So, now I’m even more excited to read that book.

 I highly recommend this story to basically anyone. And now I really want to read Persuasion again. Or maybe just Wentworth’s letter.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment