Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Review: Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman



17668473
Series: Prisoner of Night and Fog Book #1
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 401
Rating: 5 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from the Library

Holy S**t! I actually had to read another book to cleanse my brain before writing this review. This book had a profound impact on me and I equal parts want to read the next book and fear reading it.

I’m actually struggling to write this, so I’m not sure how much I can talk about the content and technicalities in here.

The reason I gave this five stars is how it made me feel. While reading this I was so tense. I was constantly nervous that something horrible would happen to Gretchen and Daniel. I was so tense that I’m not sure I can read it again.

Now, why is this a good thing?

I can only assume the way I felt is similar to how living in this time felt. And, unfortunately, the way some people still feel. It made me think and re-evaluate my views in life.

OK. I think I can talk content now.

Gretchen is a great character. And she has some great growth as she learns things and starts to think for herself. And Daniel is understanding and sweet. They have a cute romance that causes me to live in fear that one of them will die and I will not get a Happily Ever After.

I don’t know a lot about German history or Hitler. But I did read Anne Frank’s Diary ten million times as a kid. But Ms. Blankman gave me enough information that I understood. It was also great that she explored the newly developing world of psychology. And I’m actually curious about Hitler now.

Oh, there’s one more thing I want to say about Gretchen and Daniel, but mostly Gretchen. They could have avoided a lot of problems if they lied about their true feelings. The fact that they are willing to risk their lives for what is right is so inspiring.

I will be reading the second book and have already requested it from my library. But I think I’m going to need to prepare myself mentally to read it.

Thanks for reading!
~Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment