Monday, July 27, 2015

Review: Soulless by Gail Carriger



6381205
Series: Parasol Protectorate Book #1
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Pages: 373
Rating: 4.5 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from the library

From page one I knew I was going to like this book. The tone and humor were perfect for me. And I don’t listen to audiobooks, but I feel like this would be a great one. Ms. Carriger just has a light funny writing style. Seriously, it just made me so happy and I am excited to continue the series.

I think one of the reasons I loved this was the world. I read a lot of historical romance and I could see that world I’m used to but Ms. Carriger easily blends in paranormal and steampunk elements. I’m completely like: yes, this is exactly what the 1800s were like.

And Alexia. She’s so odd that I can’t help, but love her. She’s also very forceful and opinionated. Sometimes those characters can be annoying, but not Alexia. Plus, she’s very fixated on food and eating. I also have these feelings so we are on the same team.

Then, there’s the Earl. Why do I love you so much? He’s exactly what I want in my historical alpha hero. And she did a very good job of exploring pack dynamics and what being an alpha means. I hope we get more of this.

I don’t want this to go on forever, but I also like Professor Lyall and Floote the butler. They both provide some sarcasm I guess-they’re kind of the straight men. Especially Floote. I feel like he’s my favorite character and he better continue to show up.

Then, there’s the romance. It’s definitely my kind of romance and I’m glad there’s so much of it. And without spoiling it I’ll say I’m glad it progressed the way it did. Mostly because I’m happy to see what happens with the rest of the series.

The non-romance plot was also executed very well. I was on edge and constantly questioning what was going on. And just like the romance I’m very excited to see how it develops.

That was a lot of complimentary things so I feel like I need to say something negative. My only complaint is minor, but it happened a couple of times. That issue is that I would get confused about which character’s head I was in. The book is in third person but bounces around without page or chapter breaks. It was a little confusing, but not distracting.

OK. I need to stop because this one is getting a little too long.

OK. Bye.

Thanks for reading!
~Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment