Friday, August 28, 2015

Review: First to Burn by Anna Richland



22850589
Series: Immortal Vikings Book #1
Format: ebook
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Suspense, Military
Publisher: Carina Press

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

A soldier with secrets

Immortal Viking Wulf Wardsen once battled alongside Beowulf, and now serves in Afghanistan. He's trusted the mortal men on his elite special operations team to protect his secret, until an explosion lands Wulf in a place more dangerous to him than a battlefield: a medevac helicopter.

A doctor with questions

Army captain Theresa Chiesa follows the rules and expects the same from others, even special forces hotshots like Sergeant Wardsen. She's determined to discover the secret behind his supernaturally fast healing, and she won't allow his sexy smile to distract her.

An enemy with nothing to lose

Even as Theresa's investigation threatens to expose him, Wulf is stirred by her passion. Dreaming of love and a normal life, he wants nothing more than to build a future with her. But the lost Viking relic needed to reverse his immortality is being hunted by another—an ancient enemy who won't hesitate to hurt Theresa to strike back at Wulf.
 
Review

So, this is another book I picked up because of the DBSA podcast. It isn’t necessarily the type of romance I would normally read, but I enjoyed it. I would call this a suspense romance war story with some paranormal elements. Considering the hero is an immortal Viking there isn’t a ton of paranormal stuff.

I really liked Wulf and Theresa and they are the heart of the story. Wulf is storng, but not afraid to be emotional. And I really like his relationship with the guys in his special forces group. I’m team guy friendships and lady friendships. And Ms. Richland does a good job of having him be an alpha male without being an a-hole.

And I appreciated how she wrote Theresa. She would slip in clinical or technical terms in non-medical scenes. Now, I’m not a doctor so I don’t know how realistic this is, but it made me get more into her character. Although, some people may see this language as distancing.

My only real issue is how much isn’t revealed. There were a lot of things going on and in the characters’ pasts that weren’t very well developed. And there wasn’t quite as much resolution I thought there should be.

I do have another complaint, but it is spoiler related.

You’ve been warned.

The main reason I decided to buy and read this book was because I knew Theresa would lose her leg and have to deal with that. I really love stories that deal with physical deformity or differences. But it just wasn’t as developed or as important as I wanted it to be. This probably would have bothered me less if I hadn’t known about going in.

Even though I enjoyed this book and would I recommend it, I’m not sure if I will read another book by this author. Her voice didn’t captivate me. But I’m not saying I wouldn’t not read them. I hope that made sense.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment