Monday, August 31, 2015

Review: One Good Dragon Deserves Another by Rachel Aaron



One Good Dragon Deserves Another (Heartstrikers, #2)
Series: Heartstrikers Book #2
Format: Ebook
Rating: 5 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Futuristic, Dragons
Publisher: Self-Published

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

After barely escaping the machinations of his terrifying mother, two all knowing seers, and countless bloodthirsty siblings, the last thing Julius wants to see is another dragon. Unfortunately for him, the only thing more dangerous than being a useless Heartstriker is being a useful one, and now that he’s got an in with the Three Sisters, Julius has become a key pawn in Bethesda the Heartstriker’s gamble to put her clan on top.

Refusal to play along with his mother’s plans means death, but there’s more going on than even Bethesda knows, and with Estella back in the game with a vengeance, Heartstriker futures disappearing, and Algonquin’s dragon hunter closing in, the stakes are higher than even a seer can calculate. But when his most powerful family members start dropping like flies, it falls to Julius to defend the clan that never respected him and prove that, sometimes, the world’s worst dragon is the best one to have on your side.
 
Review

This book had a lot to live up to since I enjoyed the first one so much. And it definitely met my expectations. And it had more content than I expected. Ms. Aaron could’ve easily ended it in like three different places and I’m glad she didn’t.

Julius is still amazing. I really like that he’s learning and growing, but is still staying true to himself. It’s a very difficult balance to maintain. And I’m very eager to see what he does in the next story.

It was great getting to meet new characters and see their perspectives. Julius will always be my favorite, but it definitely flushed out the world and gave me a better understanding of the dragons.

The romance (or what I hope will be ones) is developing nicely. I think it’s going to be a slow burn, but Ms. Aaron threw us a couple bones which I appreciated. And I look forward to more of this plot line.

I enjoyed the main conflict of this book and definitely want to read what happens next. It was nice to get more information on how magic works and Marci more generally. Same with the Seers, although I am a little confused there. Ms. Aaron definitely explained things in great detail, but I usually struggle to get my head around things connected with time travel, free will, and fate.

I still don’t know how many books will be in this series, but I’m super excited to buy and read the next one when it comes out in 2016.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment