Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Review: The Mistake by Elle Kennedy



25031450
Series: Off-Campus Book #1
Format: Ebook
Rating: 5 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Self-published

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

He’s a player in more ways than one…

College junior John Logan can get any girl he wants. For this hockey star, life is a parade of parties and hook-ups, but behind his killer grins and easygoing charm, he hides growing despair about the dead-end road he’ll be forced to walk after graduation. A sexy encounter with freshman Grace Ivers is just the distraction he needs, but when a thoughtless mistake pushes her away, Logan plans to spend his final year proving to her that he’s worth a second chance.

Now he’s going to need to up his game…

After a less than stellar freshman year, Grace is back at Briar University, older, wiser, and so over the arrogant hockey player she nearly handed her V-card to. She’s not a charity case, and she’s not the quiet butterfly she was when they first hooked up. If Logan expects her to roll over and beg like all his other puck bunnies, he can think again. He wants her back? He’ll have to work for it. This time around, she’ll be the one in the driver’s seat…and she plans on driving him wild.
 
Review

From page one I was sucked into this book. I couldn’t wait to leave work so I could give it all my attention. And that’s exactly what I did.

I completely love Ms. Kennedy’s writing and characters. She reminds me of Sarina Bowen with less angst. And I can’t wait to read the book they wrote together. It will probably be my next read. The writing is funny and engaging. It also felt very real-like I have had or would have easily had these thoughts and conversations when I was in college.

And Grace and Logan. Normally, in dual POV books I like one character more, but I can’t pick a favorite. Just like the writing they are funny and real. I also really like how self-aware they are. Logan knows when he’s being a stupid-ass and Grace is honest with herself even when she tells Logan something different. And they have fantastic chemistry.

I could’ve used more hockey, but that’s more of a personal preference than something the story is lacking. The bulk of the plot was centered on their romance which I’m more than OK with. Logan does have some personal growth with his family which was a nice side story. I’m glad there was an epilogue, but it’s the kind of epilogue I’m not a huge fan of.

I definitely plan on buying and reading the other books in this series because I really like the characters and their interactions.

Oh, and this is another book I read because of the DBSA podcast. Jane had talked about the poem-writing scent and I was really intrigued. Way to go DBSA-you brought Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy into my life.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment