Monday, September 7, 2015

Review: Him by Elle Kennedy and Sarina Bowen



25686927
Stand Alone
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Purchased
Genre: New Adult, LGBT, Hockey, Romance,

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Jamie Canning has never been able to figure out how he lost his closest friend. Four years ago, his tattooed, wise-cracking, rule-breaking roommate cut him off without an explanation. So what if things got a little weird on the last night of hockey camp the summer they were eighteen? It was just a little drunken foolishness. Nobody died.

Ryan Wesley’s biggest regret is coaxing his very straight friend into a bet that pushed the boundaries of their relationship. Now, with their college teams set to face off at the national championship, he’ll finally get a chance to apologize. But all it takes is one look at his longtime crush, and the ache is stronger than ever.

Jamie has waited a long time for answers, but walks away with only more questions—can one night of sex ruin a friendship? If not, how about six more weeks of it? When Wesley turns up to coach alongside Jamie for one more hot summer at camp, Jamie has a few things to discover about his old friend...and a big one to learn about himself.

Warning: contains sexual situations, skinnydipping, shenanigans in an SUV and proof that coming out to your family on social media is a dicey proposition.
 
Review

I really struggle with my rating on this one. Overall, I enjoyed it and I really like Jamie and Wes as characters. But it took me a long time to care about them as a potential couple and it was easy to put down.

This was a slightly different look at the new adult hockey storyline. It was interesting to see them deal with getting your dreams and if that’s what you really want. And I really liked seeing them as coaches. It makes them seem very adulty.

Like I said, I like Wes and Jamie as characters. They are likeable and not stereotypes. Even though it took me awhile to care about them as a romantic couple, but they are great friends. I’ve said it before: I’m pro man-friendships.

The thing I really like about Jamie is potentially a spoiler. Based on the content I don’t see it as one, but there’s your warning.

I haven’t read a lot of M/M romance, but I’m against gay-for-you romance, because I don’t think it sets a good precedent. For a huge chunk of this I thought that’s what would have happened. And then they made a great choice of having Jamie be bi-sexual. I think this was a great decision, because it’s a reality.

Despite some of my complaints and issues I like and recommend this book. I still like both of these authors and will continue to read their books. And I want to check out more M/M romance-maybe I’ll leave the hockey world because I’m crazy like that.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment