Monday, September 19, 2016

Review: Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie

1191143
Stand Alone
Format: Trade Paperback
Pages: 337
Rating: 4 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from Library
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: St. Martin's Press

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

Minerva Dobbs knows how to work the odds.
Calvin Morrisey always plays to win.

But when they face off, neither one is prepared.
Because when real life meets true love, all bets are off. . . .

Minerva Dobbs knows that happily-ever-after is a fairy tale, especially with a man who asked her to dinner to win a bet, even if he is gorgeous and successful Calvin Morrisey. Cal knows commitment is impossible, especially with a woman as cranky as Min Dobbs, even if she does wear great shoes and keep him on his toes. When they say good-bye at the end of their evening, they cut their losses and agree never to see each other again.

But fate has other plans, and it's not long before Min and Cal meet again. Soon they're dealing with a jealous ex-boyfriend, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, a determined psychologist, chaos theory, a freakishly intelligent cat, Chicken Marsala, and more risky propositions than either of them ever dreamed of. Including the biggest gamble of all---true love.
Bet Me is the winner of a 2005 RITA Award


Review
 
I've been hearing about this for years. People talk about it being the best romance novel or it being the one that made them love the genre. But I have a general aversion to bet story lines. Somehow, I was finally worn down and picked this up at the library.

It is a good book and I read it in one sitting. But it was a little too long for me. I kept waiting for something to happen and it got kind of frustrating.

The characters were great. I totally relate to Min and I'm sure a lot of women do. It's always nice to read about a "normal" woman. She's also full of sass. Cal is also a well-developed character, Then, there's all the fantastic friendships. I always love books that incorporate positive relationships-especially between women.

It's easy to see why people really like this. My mom apparently loved it. And I would recommend it, but I wouldn't call it a favorite or necessarily put it in my romance conversion kit.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment