Monday, March 13, 2017

Review: Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

4268157
Series: Perfect Chemistry Book #1
Format: Ebook
Rating: 5 Stars
How I Got It: Borrowed from the Library (Overdrive)
Genre: Young Adult, New Adult, Contemporary, Inter-racial
Publisher: Walker Children's

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads
 
When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created 'perfect' life is about to unravel before her eyes. She's forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for: her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect.

Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more.


Review

This is the third time I read this book-I'm pretty sure. I blew through it in a couple hours like the previous times. There are flaws I noticed this time around, but I stand by my original rating of 5 stars.

I'm definitely a fan of socio-economic differences romrances. If you add an inter-racial couple and I'm like an extra happy person. And Ms. Elkeles addresses the issues with these situations because it isn't all gumdrops and rainbows. It's also a pretty angsty and dramatic read which I think is what sucks me in. As long as I'm in the mood for it I love them.

The romance is kind of insta-lovey and not as well-developed as it could be. This especially shows with how extreme and dramatic Alex and Brittany can be in their decision. But I do still love them.

Even though there are issues with the writing, this book makes me happy and i'm sure I'll read it again.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment